Thursday, September 03, 2026

Doepfer A-198-2: The Ribbon Controller Gets an Upgrade

After a bit of delay... Doepfer has finally released the new A-198-2 Trautonium / Ribbon Controller module.

The original A-198 was released in early 2003, and  this re-design is a big improvement from that first version.
The new module features a clear backlit screen, and in performance mode you can easily select one of the 9 user programmable Quantize modes that are stored in memory by pressing buttons that will light up when selected. This looks pretty useful in the dark.

Although the new version is 2 HP smaller than the old one, Doepfer still managed to put 2 more connections on the frontplate.
Besides the CV and Gate-signal for the pressure-sensor and the CV and Gate output from the position-sensor there are two more sockets; 
Switching between quantized/not quantized can be performed on the module or via external control voltage input Qnt, which can be controlled from for example a foot switch (module A-177-2) or any other trigger, for dynamic quantize switching while playing.
Switching between retrigger on/off can also be done on the module or via external control voltage input Rtr.

The position CV range across the 60 cm ribbon controller manual is adjustable in 5 steps from 1 octave up to 5 octaves range, while the pressure sensitivity is also adjustable in 7 steps.

The direction of the manual is also selectable.
There is an optional Midi output signal available (instead of the input socket Rtr or via passive breakout module).... I will probably build a simple 2 HP wide breakout panel with a MIDI out socket after my holiday break next week.
All parameters can also be stored nonvolatile (incl. 9 quantizations), but i haven't figured out if there is a way to re-call the factory-settings yet.

The Ribbon manual itself hasn't changed since the update it got in 2005 (it has a more sensible pressure sensor and the improved sensor works even along the entire manual since then).
The (1Kg heavy) metal ribbon controller bar with the pressure-sensitive ribbon feels solid, but the USB connection on it still feels a bit wobbly... I was hoping a new kind of USB connector would be used in newer models. (this is my third Ribbon already)
I don't know yet if there will also be a new version of the (stand-alone) R2M.

The old (left) and the new A-198 
The main reason why I bought this module was mainly because of the space it saves in my mobile eurorack setup. The 2HP less width is a plus, but I also do not need an external Quantizer anymore. I did have the A-156 (Dual) Quantizer in combination with the old Ribbon controller manual, but this combo seems obsolete now.

Ofcourse I do like the new A-198-2, the bright screen, the hands-on control and easy switching between modes, but the settings menu's feel a bit overkill (to me), although these fine-tune settings will probably improve the precicion of the module) .
I would have rather seen a A-156- style quantize selection menu, perhaps even extended with a few new options? (... a 24 steps per octave (24TET) setting is/was the first thing that slipped into mind.) Microtonal music seems to be getting pretty mainstream lately....

All I wanted... 

So, in the end, I’m quite happy with the new A-198-2. 
It does exactly what I was looking for: It saves a little precious space in my portable rack and eliminates the need for a separate quantizer. The extra features and deeper settings may be more than I personally need, but they certainly make the module more versatile.

And the best part is that I now have two Ribbon Controller modules. :) 
The new A-198-2 will stay in the portable rack, while the original A-198 gets a permanent place in the main studio system. That means I can simply move the controller between the two rooms and plug and play, which, for me, is probably the most useful upgrade of all.

Source: https://www.doepfer.de/a1982.htm
....more A-198 posts by PatchPierre HERE 

No comments:

Post a Comment